Travertine tiles are cut from a natural stone that belongs to the limestone family. Marble comes from this same family, and whilst limestone is often considered a soft stone, there are varieties that are, like travertine and marble, rock hard – they have both been subjected to heat and pressure whilst in the ground, and this has created stone that has been used for thousands of years, particularly as flooring. Minerals are dissolved into the limestone during its formation, and this creates a wonderful pattern and color range. If you are considering a new floor, here are reasons to select travertine tiles.
- Color – travertine tiles come in a range of colors that generally sit between an off-white beige through to gold.
- Versatility – travertine has and is being used for flooring, wall covering, showers, splashbacks, counter tops and even as cladding on buildings.
- Finish – you can find travertine tiles in generally four different finishes: polished, honed, brushed and tumbled. Polished will reflect the most light whilst the tumbled will reflect the least. Polished has an almost glass-like finish whilst the brushed and tumbled have a textured surface. The honed finish is flat and smooth but not as shiny as a polished tile.
- Environment – travertine is an environmentally sound tile option as it is found in abundance in nature.
- Beauty – it’s almost impossible to beat the natural beauty of travertine. If nothing else convinces you, then come and see our range of travertine tiles. You’ll find a stunning display of tiles that would look good in any room.
Whilst travertine tiles are beautiful to look at, they are not always the right solution for your floor. Travertine can be a high maintenance tile if you have young children or pets. If you have any doubts, or would like to see our range of travertine, then pay a visit to Éco Dépôt. Our team of tile experts will be happy to help you find the right tile for your flooring.